That's what time I went to bed last night.
I would have stayed up later but I was at a good stopping point, and if I hadn't stopped then, I would have stayed up until I finished. And by then I would have been really, really tired and I would have been making a lot of mistakes.
And this is what I have to show for it.
And a quilt top that is going to the quilter in the morning.
Its a good thing I got to sew all weekend because I won't get to sew all week ~ I'm off to Scrap Apple Quilts in St. George, Utah for a couple of classes the end of this week.
So what did I work on? A new quilt for Spring Market ~ it's made with Blackbird's Beach House collection. I really like it even though it's kind of quirky. No pictures yet, but more on the quilt in a moment...
The one thing I did want to share is a little helper that I've been using for awhile now but keep forgetting to mention. You know how we use sandpaper dots, Invisigrip and such to keep our rulers from sliding on the fabric? Following the suggestion of a lovely lady in one of my classes about a year ago, I've been using the Flexible Clear bandage tape by Nexcare on the underside of the ruler for the same purpose! It's easy to move, remove and re-position, and because of the textured surface of the plastic/latex tape, it holds the ruler in place extremely well.
About the quilt... I have to tell you that it is one that I wasn't sure I was going to finish.
I loved the alternating blocks and setting triangles ~ those came out exactly as I had envisioned. The blocks... not so much. They are very scrappy and to be honest, not all that pretty.
This quilt came about from the block. This is what most of us are familiar with ~
But what if you took those same elements, flipped them and changed some of the lights and darks? You might wind up with something like this ~
Over the years, I've seen this block ~ or a variation of it ~ used in several quilts and patterns, and even in a couple of antique quilts. I think that means I'm not the only quilter who thinks it's kind of cool.
While I can't show you my quilt yet, let it suffice to say that my blocks are all different, and they are all very scrappy. I was a little worried that the lack of "pretty" but when I put them together with the alternating blocks... it's exactly the way I hoped it would be.
And I'll show you a picture soon... I promise.
In the meantime, I can show you a picture of "Quadrille" ~ the quilt I made with my Aviary fat quarters and some yardage.
It measures 84" x 84" and the pattern covers will be finished this week! Kimberly already has some on order so they will be available at Fat Quarter Shop by the beginning of April.
One last thing... I really enjoyed reading all the comments about how everyone else works. It seems we're all more alike than we realize.
I'm off to see about finishing up those backings...