That's always my favorite thing about a new year. It's bright and shiny and full of infinite possibilities - that whole "clean slate" thing.
While 2013 won't go down in the books as one of my favorite years, it wasn't all bad. And it did end on a really nice note... well, all except for the part about Rocco ordering the wrong doors, Lowe's delivering the wrong doors - and no, they weren't even the doors Rocco ordered, the computer-board on the washer going a little nut-so...
No. Really! It was good.
I made this...
You thought Miss Cupcake made up our little Shower Shuffle Sew-Along, didn't you?
And no, I wasn't scrambling to finish my quilt last night. I finished mine the day after Christmas, I've just been busy getting the garage put back into some kind of order... and the house. I'll show you that soon - I promise.
I'm not sure how it all came to pass but the gist of it is this - we were both looking to make something that would be entertaining as all get out, produce some hopefully cool results, and that involved some spontaneous experimenting. Done, done and done.
After some figuring on sizes, we settled on 15" blocks. Each would be made with 16 HTSs that were trimmed to 4 1/4" x 4 1/4" to finish at 3 3/4" x 3 3/4". Why the odd size? It just worked for our purposes. We decided to make just sixteen blocks for our quilts and we both wanted finished quilts that measured about 75" x 75" finished. With a 2 1/2" to 3" wide sashings, we both felt that 16" finished blocks were probably going to make our quilts a little bigger than we wanted. And given the busy-ness of the blocks, I was pretty sure the wider sashing was going to work best. Since we were using charm squares - it's what we had - the slightly smaller size of the HTS also gave us a little more wiggle-room with trimming.
We also decided to shamelessly copy Camille on something else, her color scheme from Puddle Jumping. (I love that quilt - pattern and colors / fabrics.) We each made 280 HTSs - 20 each of 14 different fabrics. And then we were on our own as to which blocks we made and what we used to make them.
I decided to use eight fabrics in each block - 2 matching HTSs per block. It was entertaining to have to work within those limitations - even though it was an arbitrary, self-imposed "rule", that really was part of the fun for me.
Now that it's done, I absolutely love it. It'll have to wait until April Showers arrives in the quilt shops to be finished... maybe sometime in March or April.
As for the rest, I really have been busy sewing. I finished the binding on my Christmas Round & Round quilt on Christmas Eve... and slept under the quilt that night. I also finished the bindings on Scrumptious Morning Joe and Momo Round & Round, and I finished my APQ Quilt-Along quilt. I've even started work on a few new things... and yes, I'll get pictures of everything up this week.
It's one of my goals this year - be a more frequent blogger.
It's a shiny new year... anything and everything is possible.